The Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) program is a key Australian Government financial assistance program for businesses that are currently exporting and those seeking to export for the first time. The program supports a wide range of industry sectors and products, including inbound tourism and the export of intellectual property and know-how outside Australia.
From 1 July 2021, the EMDG program provides upfront funding certainty so you know how much you will receive during the 2 to 3 years of your grant agreement. This is a significant improvement on previous programs as you are better able to plan your promotional activities with confidence.
Applications for the EMDG are now open and will close on 30 November 2021.
What grants are available?
Small to medium enterprise (SME) exporters can apply for 3 different grants over 8 years to fund eligible promotional activities.
The available grants are tiered to reflect the different level of support A SME needs as they grow their export markets.
Tier 1: First time exporters
- 2 years and maximum $40,000 per financial year
Tier 2: Expanding export promotion activities
- 3 years and maximum $80,000 per financial year
Tier 3: Expanding and strategic shift (for example targeting a new market or a new type of customer)
- 3 years and maximum $150,000 per financial year
What are eligible promotion activities?
Eligible promotion activities are defined broadly and include expenses in one or more of the following categories:
- maintaining a representative in a foreign country
- short trips to a foreign country
- engaging a consultant to undertake research or promotional activities
- foreign buyer visits
- soliciting for business in a foreign country
- providing free samples
- producing and providing promotional and advertising material
- intellectual property rights
- if you are a Tier 1 applicant, obtaining export readiness training
Eligibility for the EMDG?
To be eligible for a grant you must:
- have a turnover of less than $20 million for financial year 2020–21
- be an Australian resident individual or be an entity established under Australia law
- have an Australian Business Number
- be undertaking promotional activities to market eligible products in foreign countries
What qualify as eligible products?
To be an eligible product, your product must be of substantially Australian origin and be:
- goods (such as primary products or goods manufactured or assembled in Australia)
- tourism services (which are supplied in Australia)
- other services (such as where activities are carried out in Australia)
- events (such as trade shows held in Australia)
- intellectual property or know-how (such as licensing of a trademark first used in Australia)
- software (where copyright subsists in Australia or is result of research/work done in Australia).
Transitional measures for promotion expenses prior to 30 June 2021
The EMDG is still available for expenses incurred up to 30 June 2021 under the previous EMDG program.
The lodgement period closes on 30 November 2021.
If you have any questions in relation to EMDG please contact us at Calibre Business Advisory. We can assist you in evaluating eligibility of your business and assist with applications. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us on 0292612177 or using the contact button below.